Reading

Reading

Postby Greysonlxy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:41 pm

I have problem in detail reading, sometimes I might miss the key information, how to improve ?
Greysonlxy

Re: Reading

Postby Lessing » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm having the same issue. My reading pace is quite quick, but I don't retain as much as I should. Is this common?
Lessing

Re: Reading

Postby sheldon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:34 am

This is an interesting topic. Reading quickly can seem like a good thing, but if you read twice as fast and remember half as much, then it is rather pointless. I would suggest that you need to read more actively in order to engage with the text and improve recall. There is some information on this here: https://www.eapfoundation.com/reading/critical/#active. So for example, you could underline or highlight important parts as you read, make notes in the margin, or make notes on a separate page. This of course will slow down your reading, but will increase how much you remember. If you want to maximise reading speed, then active tasks which take the least amount of time, e.g. underlining, would work best. If you are reading so fast that you don't know what the main or important points are, then you definitely need to slow down. If you slow down but still struggle to identify the main points, then you need to look at how writers signal main points, for example via topic sentences or transition signals.
sheldon
Site Admin

Return to Reading