How to find some useful academic articles online?

This forum is for students studying on the NCUK IFY programme

How to find some useful academic articles online?

Postby joezhou » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 pm

I am struggling for my active listening task. My tutor asked me to find 3 more articles about the topic, which can only be on either university website or the government website ( to make sure the article found is credible and good for students).

It is killing me. I was taught to use Google scholar to find academic articles but most of them are neither government one nor the university one. What is more, some of them cost money :cry:

Can anyone recommend some better methods to find some useful academic articles?

Many thanks!

Ps. This is a serious question! Not joking! :geek:
joezhou

Re: How to find some useful academic articles online?

Postby Luky » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:01 pm

I am struggling this problem too. According to my experience, one way is to research key words on the the bing.com, Baidu.com, and Yahoo. Although there are many terrible information, you can research some academic essay. Another way is that you can go to wiki.com and then there is external links in the bottom of term, so you can click these links to find information.(I think this way is better :D )

I hope my answer is useful to you !
Luky

Postby Fionasheng » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:28 pm

If someone know the answer , plz tell me face to face ;) . I will very appreciate. :D
Fionasheng

Postby Ciel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Well, I think Yahoo can help you when you cannot use Google. I suppose I cannot give the articles to you but I will say tutor2 is a good website to find some essays about business or economics( perhaps you may recall that Simon has stolen some handout from it ;) )
If it can help you, that will be my pleasure.
Ciel

Postby summercamp12 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

I am struggling for my active listening task. My tutor asked me to find 3 more articles about the topic, which can only be on either university website or the government website ( to make sure the article found is credible and good for students).
It is killing me. I was taught to use Google scholar to find academic articles but most of them are neither government one nor the university one. What is more, some of them cost money :cry:
Can anyone recommend some better methods to find some useful academic articles?

I think Google is a great search engine, but most people who are searching online aren’t planning to write term papers therefore, the pages that Google thinks are great for the typical person doing a typical internet search (planning a trip, researching a hobby, etc.) are not going to help you do your (non-typical) homework assignment.
summercamp12

Postby StevenMorris » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:14 pm

I recommend you to try using the advanced search options to search for phrases, titles, authors, etc. as simple keyword searches may not be as beneficial in terms of returns as in the normal Google search engine.
StevenMorris

Return to IFY study